California State Polytechnic University Pomona Plant Science Department The Plant Science Department in the College of Agriculture at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2019.
California State Polytechnic University Pomona Plant Science Department The Plant Science Department in the College of Agriculture at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2019. All plant science disciplines should apply, especially those with specializations in Turf Science.
At Cal Poly Pomona, we cultivate success through a diverse culture of experiential learning, discovery, and innovation. We demonstrate academic quality, relevance, and excellence through our teaching, learning, scholarship, and creative activities with student centered faculty in an evidence-based culture.Cal Poly Pomona is committed to being the model for an inclusive polytechnic university that inspires creativity and innovation, embraces local and global challenges, and transforms lives.
- The new faculty member will develop and teach undergraduate courses in turf science turf-management, golf course management, soil science, soil fertility and general agronomic topics.
- The faculty member will be occasionally expected to teach graduate courses in the following areas for the Plant Science Option/Master's program:
- Introduction To Research
- Experimental Design
- Data analysis and proposal development
The faculty member will also mentor undergraduate and graduate students on competitive teams and research projects. The position requires excellence in teaching and advising, professional and scholarly achievements, and a commitment to service to the university. The successful candidate will demonstrate leadership potential for the advancement of their area within the department.
Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
• Ph.D. in Turf Science, Plant Science, Soil Science, Plant Breeding, Agronomy or a related field from an accredited university by August 2019.
• Demonstrated understanding of the turf science industry.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• University teaching experience.
• Evidence of scholarly potential (publications, working papers, scholarly presentations).
• Demonstrated ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and/or service and work as well as experience working in an inclusive environment.
• State of the art knowledge in their field.
• Conversant regarding emerging technologies impacting technological processes in the sports turf, golf course and related industries.
• Previous turf research experience.
• Demonstrated ability to create and enhance close relationships with companies and professional organizations.
• An educational and scholarship focus on turf science.
• Demonstrated ability to develop new opportunities for curriculum development and scholarship in an innovative learning environment.
• Demonstrated ability to develop external funding to support scholarship.
• Demonstrated ability to contribute towards the delivery of a graduate program focused on Plant Science.
A completed application will consist of:
• A cover letter that describes the candidate's teaching and research experience and interests and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description.
• A curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form
• Include the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate's potential for success in this position.
• A completed application form.
• A transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript will be required of finalists)
• A Student Success Statement about your teaching, or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working or engaging with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced) additional guidance is available here.
First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than January 16, 2019.
Electronic submission of all application materials must be submitted online via Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/55573
For general questions regarding the position, please contact
Faculty Search Committee c/o Valerie Mellano
Plant Science Department California State Polytechnic University, Pomona 3801 W Temple Ave Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: 909.869.2214 FAX: 909.869.5036 Email: email@example.com