Department: Philadelphia Parks & Recreation
Division: Urban Forestry
Type: Seasonal, 9- month
Timeframe: Begins on March 1st and ends on November 30th
Salary: $13.50/ hour, 37.5 hours/week
A program of Philadelphia Parks & Recreation (PPR) , TD Bank, and Fairmount Park Conservancy, TreePhilly provides local residents with the resources they need to plant and care for the Philadelphia urban forest. Since 2011, TreePhilly has distributed over 22,000 free yard trees to Philadelphia residents through Community Yard Tree Giveaway Program. Tree Philly also hosts Philadelphia's yearly Arbor Day celebration, organizes volunteer park tree inventories each summer and provides public education on city tree services. To learn more about TreePhilly, visit treephilly.org
TreePhilly seeks a seasonal Program Assistant to coordinate the Community Yard Tree Giveaway Grant program and support other TreePhilly initiatives. The position requires an energetic, self motivated and organized person who can work independently and collaboratively. The Program Assistant should be passionate about growing Philadelphia's urban forest with principles of sustainability and environmental justice in mind. Ideal candidates should have a working knowledge of trees, plants, and/or urban ecology, as well as an enthusiasm for engaging Philadelphia residents about their urban forest.
The position will have a flexible schedule that includes early mornings, evening and weekend work. Work will be both in and out of the office. This position reports to the TreePhilly Program Specialist at Philadelphia Parks & Recreation (PPR). This is a 9 month position beginning on March 1, 2019 and ending November 30, 2019.
- Coordinate the Community Yard Tree Giveaway Grant program, including:
- Soliciting applications and selecting grantees
- Leading a grantee training
- Scheduling and staffing events
- Teaching tree planting demonstration at events
- Collecting completed grant materials and distributing grant awards;
- Contribute to and help maintain TreePhilly websites and social media accounts;
- Answer phone calls and emails from Philadelphia residents related to all TreePhilly programs, city tree planting processes, and general tree knowledge
TreePhilly Program Assistant Position Description, January 2019:
- Representing PPR and TreePhilly at community meetings and events, interacting face-to-face with Philadelphia residents;
- Support other TreePhilly Programs, including Arbor Day celebrations, volunteer tree plantings, park tree inventories, and tree maintenance activities; and
- Data entry and best practices research.
- Resident of the City of Philadelphia
- Valid driver's license
- Bachelor's degree in forestry, horticulture, plant science or related field, OR equivalent experience;
- Community outreach or organizing experience
- Excellent communication skills: oral, written, and face-to-face
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, especially Microsoft Excel
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and work outside in adverse conditions;
- Preferred: Familiarity with the city of Philadelphia and its neighborhoods.
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at (215) 686-4670 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, go to the Human Relations website at: http://www.phila.gov//humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx
Materials required in your application for this position:
- 1 or 2 page resume in PDF form or hard copy. The file name should include your first name, your last name, and the word resume
- 1 page cover letter in PDF form or hard copy. The file name should include your first name, your last name, and the words "cover letter"
Applications will be considered incomplete if they do not include the two items above, in the lengths and title formats specified. You will be notified by email when your application is received.
Please send resume and cover letter by Friday, January 25, 2019 to
Jack Branstein, TreePhilly Program Specialist
One Parkway Building, 10th floor
1515 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102