Bayer Crop Science is seeking a Engineering Co-Op/Intern whose primary responsibilities will be to work with and learn from Engineers and Staff to improve our chemical processes, yield/process capacity improvements, waste reductions and reduction of cycle time, cost improvements and/or modification/design of equipment.
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary responsibilities of this role, Engineering Co-Op/Intern, are to:
- Work with and learn from Engineers and Staff to improve our chemical processes, yield/process capacity improvements, waste reductions and reduction of cycle time, cost improvements and/or modification/design of equipment;
- Troubleshoot and provide recommendations for mechanical equipment, improving the reliability and cost associated with a process area's mechanical equipment;
- Design, installation and start-up of automatic process control, material, handling and distributive control systems;
- Assist engineers in development of project objectives and scope by analyzing customer requirements and producing sketches, drawings, written descriptions or specification for customer approval;
- Ensure compliance with engineering standards, engineering procedures, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards, site safety standards, pressure safety design and environmental standards on all projects;
- Gain insight into maintenance and reliability improvement programs for chemical plants;
- Perform and check engineering calculations following standard methods and principles for projects;
- Assist with procurement process of equipment specifications, bid evaluation and contract administration;
- Assist with conducting engineering cost, feasibility and planning studies analyzing customer needs and data including researching, investing action and coordination of other engineers and providing recommendations to the customer;
- Collaborate with production and technical staff on day-to-day activities such as process troubleshooting and problem solving;
- Work with all areas of operations and compliance organizations in order to drive attainment of project goals;
- Support Process Improvement/Lean Manufacturing site wide;
- Present on major project findings or updates in an oral or report style presentation.
WHO YOU ARE
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Current enrollment in bachelor’s degree program in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Science or related Engineering degree;
- Successfully completed sophomore year or higher and returning to school upon completion of the intern or co-op assignment;
- Ability to commute daily to and from work location in Muscatine, IA;
- Willingness to work in a chemical manufacturing environment;
- Ability to work 40 hours per week and physically willing and able to climb stairs and ladders.
- At least overall GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 scale;
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point);
- For Internship, prior experience with previous Bayer or similar Co-op role.