Social Scientist/Natural Resource Specialist
This position is located in the National Conservation Education Staff, State and Private Forestry, in the Washington Office. This position provides professional advice and support to staff leadership for the delivery of quality conservation education programs and materials that support the attainment of the agency's mission and strategic goals.
• Duties listed are at the full performance level.
• Assist in executing liaison operations for critical agency-wide programs, with national or international implications in
the arena of connecting children to nature and conservation education programs.
• Foster effective working relationships and information networks with business and industry associations, domestic
and foreign universities, and stakeholders in all levels of government, i.e., local, state, and federal government
• Implement and evaluate conservation education programs.
• Serve as a National representative on committees, councils and working groups, on program reviews, and in
conjunction with other federal agencies in executing the conservation education program.
• Provide information and program updates, develop briefing materials and updates for Regional and National
• Assist in maintaining awareness of program area with respect to achieving the Forest Service mission.
• Collaborate and build relationships with internal and external partners including community leaders, National and
Regional Office staff, Tribes, State Forestry agencies, and other partners to achieve Cooperative Education program goals.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service or exempt.
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless previously served.
- Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify.
Degree: Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included a major field of study in behavioral or social science; or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience -- that provided the applicant with knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
Four years of appropriate experience that demonstrated that the applicant has acquired knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
Degree: Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included a major field of study in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience with courses equivalent to a major described above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Specialized Experience Requirement:
For the GS-11: One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 grade level. Examples of specialized experience are: Assisted in providing guidance concerning interpretation and implementation of environmental education programs; Performed field reconnaissance, collected, and analyzed data needed for preparation of conservation education documents. Participated in interdisciplinary teams and carried out routine studies and evaluations to determine the consequences of various environmental education actions or events. Assisted in responses to appeals regarding decisions made by management. Assisted with developing and maintaining partnerships and agreements. Assisted in administering agreements, ensuring procedures were followed, and that records were maintained correctly.
For the GS-12: One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level.
Resume that includes: 1) personal information such as name, address, contact information; 2) education; 3) detailed work experience related to this position as described in the responsibilities section including work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment; title, series, grade (if applicable); 4) supervisor's phone number and whether or not the supervisor may be contacted for a reference check; 5) other qualifications
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.