Senior Scientist- Biology Discovery
Our Animal Health division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to the health and well-being of animals. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world’s food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society and our planet. We offer one of our industry’s most innovative portfolio of products, services and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
- The ideal candidate will assume the responsibility of designing, planning and executing experiments in upstream process development with implementation of robust scientific rationale and based on relevant experience in cultivation mammalian cells.
- Serve as study director or principal investigator to develop and manage project plans and timelines. Be accountable for the timely preparation of progress reports and presentations according to agreed plans, milestones and company guidelines for areas under direct responsibility.
- Design, coordinate and conduct experiments toward cell culture process development, including media screening, feeding strategies optimization and cell culture in plates, deep wells, shake flasks and bioreactors.
- Actively manage the planning, execution and coordination of the upstream cell culture activities including seed expansion, seed inoculation, bioreactor production, and cell harvest.
- Independently operate laboratory scale bioreactors and other cell culture vessels.
- Collect and analyze data from instruments and culture vessels employed in upstream process development studies.
- Troubleshoot and maintain laboratory equipment and instrument associated with the upstream process.
- Design and conduct studies for the process qualification and define the critical operating parameters.
- Author the process development, qualification or validation reports and lead the process transfer to production facility.
- Efficiently manage and leverage the resources within the team and department to ensure on-time delivery of project timeline and milestones.
- Closely collaborate with other cross-functional teams to provide support in cell line development, downstream process development, formulation development and animal studies.
- Effectively share progress within team and present work in project team meetings or to upper management.
- Enhance upstream process capabilities by introducing new equipment, process, or technology.
- Effectively and independently solve problems that arise within job responsibilities by evaluating data and information from multiple sources to determine root causes and generate innovative solutions to problems.
- Work independently and collaboratively with internal stakeholders (R&D, technical, manufacturing, regulatory, commercial, legal etc.) to develop strategies, oversee project execution, leverage the collective experience and share best practices.
- Skillfully manage the R&D relationships with 3rd party and external contractors or CRO to leverage talent, space, time, resources and results.
- Perform self-directed literature searches and read scientific literatures. Prepare manuscripts for publication and presentations for scientific or marketing meetings. Seek and stay abreast of external advances and technologies that can enhance the process and product development.
- Function as the subject expert in the responsible area and provide support, coaching or assistance to other team members.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- B.S. in life science (Biology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Bio-processing, Chemical Engineering or Biomedical engineering) or related disciple with 5 years of relevant experience
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 5 years of hands-on experience in mammalian cell culture utilizing laboratory scale bioreactors operation.
- Demonstrated experience in upstream process development with eukaryotic/mammalian cells.
- Strong background and in-depth understanding of cell culture performance indicators.
- Highly proficient in the techniques operating the upstream associated instrument and equipment to collect, generate, analyze and utilize these data to evaluate the cell culture performance and optimize the process.
- Experience and good understanding of the Design of Experiment approach to process development.
- Knowledge and experience in upstream process scale up and transfer.
- Excellent personal and technical communication skills.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Working in a related industrial setting.
- Knowledge and experience with single use bioreactor and perfusion technology
- Experience working with external service providers
- People management or supervisor experience
Our Animal Health Research Laboratories team work tirelessly to invent solutions to improve the health and well-being of animals. Our state-of-the-art research facilities create an environment of innovation that enable us to create breakthrough science changing the way we approach animal health challenges.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
For full job description and to apply please visit here.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.