Cover Crops Education Specialist
The Cover Crops Education Specialist will provide education and outreach on cover crops and soil health, working with farmers and agricultural professionals advising farmers, including ag retailers, extension and NRCS staff, and other farm advisors. This position is part of the staff team with the University of Missouri Center for Regenerative Agriculture (www.cra.missouri.edu).
Specific activities include:
- Participate in development and delivery of educational events on cover crops and soil health for farmers and farm advisors, such as field days, webinar, and workshops.
- Respond to questions on cover crops and soil health from farmers and farm advisors via email and phone calls, and occasional farm visits.
- Work with the ag retail community and other farm advisors on cover crop training, including delivery of information content that ag retailers, CCAs and other advisors can use in assisting farmers with cover crops.
- Periodically review and help update information on cover crop management as part of the process of developing new education and training materials, both print and video.
- Communicate with researchers and educators working on cover crops and soil health in gathering information useful to development of training materials.
- Working with other team members, help identify barriers to cover crop adoption and strategize on ways to improve adoption.
- Collaborate on other special projects with cover crop development, including potential evaluation of new cover crop varieties, reviewing cover crop data and adoption information, and other special activities that aid progress with cover crop use.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelors degree in agronomy, soil science, or a related field
Candidates will be evaluated on: Highest degree earned. Demonstrated knowledge of cover crops and soil health, particularly relevant to Missouri or other Midwestern states. Effective oral and written communication skills, including delivery of presentations to farmer audiences through field days and workshops. Strong organizational skills and ability to work as a self-starter. Awareness of cover crop research results, including from on-farm research experiences in the Midwest, soil health testing measures. Ability to provide management recommendations on cover crop implementation.
Benefit Eligibility: This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
Applications for this position should be through the University of Missouri Human Resources employment portal. Job ID 39766
Applicants should submit a cover letter outlining experience with cover crops and interest in farmer education, a resume, and list of three references.
Review of applications will begin on February 1, 2022. For questions about the position, email Dr. Rob Myers at email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity: The University of Missouri is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff (equal opportunity/access/affirmative action/pro-disabled and veteran employer).