Sustainable Agriculture Specialist
NCAT is seeking a Sustainable Agriculture Specialist with
regenerative grazing and livestock expertise who wants to
help farmers and ranchers understand, and transition to more
Put your education and experience to work to promote sustainable agricultural practices and work with farmers, ranchers, small producers and limited resource farmers. The National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) is a private non-profit corporation that works to promote sustainable technologies and systems, especially for the benefit of economically disadvantaged
individuals and communities. NCAT has run the ATTRA sustainable agriculture program for over 30 years. NCAT is seeking a Sustainable Agriculture Specialist with regenerative grazing and livestock expertise who wants to help farmers and ranchers understand, and transition to more sustainable practices. If you are a self-directed leader with strong knowledge of agriculture, and skills in communication and project development, this is a great opportunity for you! This position can be full-time or part-time and location is flexible within the continental U.S.
- The position requires a BA/BS degree in agriculture, animal science, agronomy, soils, horticulture, regenerative grazing, or a related field along with a minimum of six years of farming and/or relevant experience or an MA/MS degree and a minimum of four years of farming and/or relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience and expertise in farming, with a focus on regenerative grazing, adaptive multipaddock grazing, rotational grazing, rangeland, and sustainable livestock practices, and providing technical assistance to farmers and ranchers;
- Minimum of three years’ experience in developing new projects, writing proposals, and
- Commitment and passion for the NCAT mission;
- Expertise in regenerative grazing, adaptive multi-paddock grazing, rotational grazing, rangeland, and sustainable animal agriculture and knowledge of related organizations and groups;
- Knowledge of animal agriculture supply chains and farm business development;
- Excellent communication skills, with experience giving technical assistance workshops to farmers, public speaking, presentation, writing, editing and research;
- The ability to build relationships with farmers, ranchers, community organizations, government agencies, and non-profit organizations;
- Project design experience with grant and proposal writing skills;
- The ability to recognize and pursue development opportunities;
- Familiarity with integrated farming systems, concepts of sustainability and environmentally friendly agricultural practices;
- Collaborate with limited-resource farmers and farmers from a variety of different cultural backgrounds;
- Willingness to travel and work independently.
- Provide farmers and ranchers with information and technical assistance on environmentally sound practices for sustainable livestock production by phone, e-mail, social media, workshops, and field demonstrations;
- Seek out development opportunities, participate in grant and proposal writing process;
- Actively seek out funding for new projects and develop ideas related to sustainable agriculture into fundable projects;
- Build and strengthen relationships with partners and stakeholders;
- Manage projects to ensure project work and deliverables are being met;
- Work with NCAT/ATTRA’s Outreach Specialists to promote workshops and events;
- Liaise with farm and agriculture organizations and groups that assist farmers, particularly limited resource farmers;
- Research, write and edit publications on sustainable agriculture topics to assist clients;
- Create educational materials such as publications, videos, webinars, podcasts, and online tutorials;
- Seek out projects and opportunities to provide trainings to immigrant farmers, new farmers and producers interested in developing more sustainable livestock and marketing systems;
- Collaborate with staff as a member of one or more technical teams in developing written materials and projects.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
a pleasant, professional working environment.
Incomplete applications or reference on the application to “see resume” will not be considered.
Applications and more information about NCAT can be accessed by visiting our website at
www.ncat.org. You may find an employment application under the Jobs tab.
Director of Human Resources
NCAT’s Mission: Helping people build resilient communities through local and sustainable solutions that reduce poverty, strengthen self-reliance, and protect natural resources. We strive to be a multicultural organization that embraces the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, religious or political belief and marital or veteran status. Diversity creates healthy communities. Special consideration will be given to applicants who are reflective of the communities that we serve.
For additional information about NCAT please visit our website at