The Department Head will be expected to promote an inclusive and diverse environment for all members and to nurture a positive departmental work climate.
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at North Carolina State University invites applications for the position of Head of the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology.
The Department Head will be expected to promote an inclusive and diverse environment for all members and to nurture a positive departmental work climate. The Department Head will be actively involved in fundraising and other development activities to support the department’s programs. The Department Head will also serve as the lead representative and advocate in interactions with College and University administrators, industry and commodity groups, and other stakeholders. The Department Head is expected to promote collaborations and partnerships with other University departments as well as private industry and state, national, and international agencies to position the Department as a global leader in entomology and plant pathology.
The Department Head’s office and the department’s administrative home are located at NC State University in Raleigh. The Department Head’s responsibilities also extend to departmental faculty, staff, and students located at the North Carolina Research Campus in the Mountain Research Station in Waynesville, the Mountain Horticultural Crops Research and Extension Center in Mills River, the Vernon James Research and Extension Center in Plymouth, the Horticultural Crops Research Station in Castle Hayne, and other NC State University research and extension facilities in North Carolina.
Inclusiveness and diversity are critical to the success of the university and in engagement outside the university. Therefore, the selected candidate will be expected to foster an environment that is welcoming of all groups.
Minimum Education and Qualifications
- Relevant Ph.D.;
- Associate Professor rank or at least ten years of experience and promotion after their doctorate; and
- Experience in developing, implementing, and evaluating strategic administrative goals, managing budgets.
- Ph.D. in Entomology, Plant Pathology, or Nematology, or substantial experience working as a professional entomologist, plant pathologist, or nematologist; and
- Experience in fundraising or strategic advancement, including securing large grants from governmental sources and donations from private foundations, industry, commodity groups, or individuals.
Department Required Skills
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to actualize decisions;
- Evidence of commitment to diversity and inclusion and the land grant mission of North Carolina State University, as put forth in the College and Agriculture and Life Sciences Mission Statement; and
- Excellent communication skills demonstrated by mentoring younger faculty, fostering an inclusive community of scholarship, and advocating for the needs of the department.
How to Apply
Recruitment Services Manager, Executive Search Services
(919) 515-4365 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Jeff Mullahey
Committee Chair and Department Head of Crop and Soil Sciences
(919) 515-2647 or Jeff_Mullahey@ncsu.edu
Confidential review of applications will begin in October, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled. Provide a CV, cover letter, and three references. References will not be contacted without prior knowledge and approval of candidates. These materials may be submitted online at https:// jobs.ncsu.edu/ (position # 00000196). For a full-version of the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology position, please visit this link: go.ncsu.edu/cals-epp-search