Pace International is a global leader in the development of sustainable products, technologies, and services for the postharvest protection of fresh fruits and vegetables. The Postharvest Physiology manager will focus on managing a global research and development program to find the next revolutionary postharvest solutions based on biorational bioactive molecules coming from Sumitomo Chemical, Valent Biosciences, and 3rd party collaborators. This position will be an integral part of Pace’s R&D and Product Development Group and is expected to be an independent thinker that formulates ideas and product concepts, leads research projects, and manages lab technicians and collaborators at multiple locations. The position requires travel to oversee research programs to be conducted primarily at both the Visalia, CA and the Wapato, WA research facilities, with additional collaborations expected with Sumitomo Chemical affiliates and 3rd party companies.
- Independently formulate and test concepts related to extending shelf-life of fruits and vegetables using bioactive compounds alone or in combination with other technologies.
- Manage and coordinate research programs in both Visalia, CA and Wapato, WA. This includes designing, planning, and managing research projects at both locations concurrently.
- Manage technical support personnel (e.g., setting goals, tracking performance, setting priorities) in both Visalia, CA and Wapato, WA to ensure proper execution and completed designed research projects and goals.
- Actively collaborate with internal (Pace, Valent Biosciences, Sumitomo Chemical) and external researchers to design, execute, and evaluate technologies.
- Independently prepare project reports and presentations to effectively communicate results to senior leadership and department managers.
- Effectively collaborate with Business Development, Marketing, Sales, Technical Field Service, and Manufacturing.
- Coordinate demonstration trials with industry collaborators and/or customers.
- Attend regional/national/international conferences and meetings to create, build, and maintain relationships with researchers within affiliated companies, academia, and industry.
- Responsible for department budget, resources, and expenses
- This position requires domestic and international travel (approximately 30%)
- Other duties as assigned.
TYPICAL EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION GUIDELINES:
- M.S./Ph.D. in Plant Physiology, Agronomy, Food Science, or closely related field.
- Extensive knowledge of plant science, and postharvest physiology of fruit crops – maturity, ripening, senescence, ethylene mediated processes, fruit maturity indices.
- Experience with testing and evaluation of bioactive compounds and their impact in fruit physiology and quality is a plus.
- Experience and knowledge of diverse fruit, vegetable and/or floral postharvest handling systems. Critical thinking and strong analytical skills with the ability to (a) differentiate the validity of data sets resulting from research studies, (b) identify potential novelty in each data set, and (c) recognize how a given data set may advance/support a novel product concept or business opportunity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to effectively communicate with (a) outside parties (e.g., customers, industry personnel, scientific researchers) and (b) commercial areas of the Pace business to identify potential areas for new product development as well as the value of product improvements.
- Computer literacy with Excel, PowerPoint, Word, SigmaPlot, Minitab, Adobe Acrobat, etc.
- Use of standard laboratory analytical equipment (pH, spectrophotometer, chromatographic equipment)
- Demonstrable Project organization and management skills
- Excellent Interpersonal communication and people skills to be able to work in a collaborative team environment
- Fluency in English; Spanish is a plus
To apply, please click here.
View current job openings here at Pace International, LLC and at all the Valent Group of Companies; including Valent Biosciences, LLC, Mycorrhizal Applications, LLC, and Valent USA, LLC,.