Pinelands Adventures Assistant Manager
As assistant manager, you'll be engaged in all aspects of the operation including customer communications, logistics, driving trips, equipment repair, property maintenance, river work and rescues. This position provides many opportunities for professional growth and learning.
Pinelands Adventures is the premier canoe and kayak livery service in New Jersey's Pine Barrens. As part of the nonprofit Pinelands Preservation Alliance (PPA), we're dedicated to sharing and protecting the Pine Barrens.
Self-guided paddling trips on the Batsto and Mullica Rivers in Wharton State Forest are available daily from April through October. Naturalist-guided paddling trips, hikes and small group bus tours featuring Pine Barrens ecology, culture and history are scheduled throughout the year for the general public, schools and community groups.
Providing the best possible experience for our guests is our top priority, making excellence in customer service our most important job. However, this position requires much more. As assistant manager, you'll be engaged in all aspects of the operation including customer communications, logistics, driving trips, equipment repair, property maintenance, river work and rescues. This position provides many opportunities for professional growth and learning.
Candidates must be friendly and customer service oriented with a positive attitude and adventurous spirit. Respect for, and appreciation of, New Jersey’s Pinelands is required.
Pinelands Adventures is dedicated to furthering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion in its staff and its work. We want everyone to know the Pinelands is theirs to enjoy through low-impact recreation, and to help people of all means and backgrounds to experience this natural treasure.
Job responsibilities include:
- Assist in all aspects of Pinelands Adventures operations, including driving buses, loading and unloading boats, assisting customers, answering inquiries, booking reservations and processing transactions.
Interact with the public at all times in a manner that is professional, customer-friendly, and supportive of the missions of PPA and Pinelands Adventures.
Implement Pinelands Adventures safety, customer and financial procedures and practices.
Ensure that the Pinelands Adventures property, buildings and equipment are well-maintained, safe and secure, and present an appearance to the public that is attractive and builds confidence in PPA and Pinelands Adventures.
Perform river maintenance.
Respond for river rescues.
Collaborate to expand and enhance our volunteer program.
Assist the Director to recruit, train and manage staff, including seasonal and part-time employees and guides.
Qualifications required for consideration for this position:
- At least five years of relevant professional experience.
- Strong paddling skills.
- Experience providing customer service and processing customer transactions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and people to successful outcomes.
- Aptitude for processing information and communicating effectively and swiftly across all platforms: in-person, phone, email and messaging.
- Strong situational awareness skills with the ability to manage logistics while being mindful of the needs of customers and staff.
- Willingness and physical ability to carry out tasks inherent in canoe/kayak livery programs, including loading and unloading boats that weigh up to 80 pounds
- CDL Class C (or higher) with passenger endorsement, OR a commitment and ability to obtain such a license as soon as possible upon beginning employment (Pinelands Adventures will train qualified candidate). Driving record must be clean with no points or moving violations in last three years.
The following experience is desirable:
- Experience leading outdoor, nature-based trips and education programs.
- Experience driving with a trailer.
- Knowledge of the New Jersey Pinelands.
Salary and benefits
Starting salary will be $50,000 per year. Benefits include access to a health insurance plan, life and disability insurance, access to a retirement savings plan and generous vacation and holidays.
Pinelands Adventures is open 8:30 am to 5:30 pm daily but work hours will vary. All weekends and holidays, as well as occasional evenings, are required during the season, April through October.
Location: 1005 Atsion Rd, Shamong, NJ, 08088
How to Apply
Complete the application form here
Save application as .pdf and then email to email@example.com with your resume.
Start Date: To be Determined
Employment Type: Full-time