communications manager for the communications and marketing team. For 35 years, Practical
Farmers has worked to equip farmers to build resilient farms and communities.
This work has always been rooted in our value of welcoming everyone – but we recognize that there
is a long history in Iowa and the U.S. of unequal access to the vocation of farming and other
opportunities for people of color. At Practical Farmers, we are committed to working towards racial
equity in Iowa’s food and farming system, and to ensuring that our policies and practices create an
equitable and inclusive workplace.
The communications and marketing team expands Practical Farmers’ reach and impact and drives
the food and farming narrative by promoting PFI programs and activities and educating farmers and
communities. Our work seeks to share our members’ knowledge and experience; help members stay
connected and informed; and provide farmers and friends of farmers with opportunities and training
to tell their stories across a wide array of internal and external events and media channels.
communications and marketing department duties to ensure timely, impactful work; 2) managing the
production and distribution of a diverse portfolio of digital and print publications through a variety
of channels; 3) supervising communications and marketing staff and contractors to ensure the team
is successful at achieving its robust goals; 4) measuring the impact of our work and reporting regularly to key internal and external stakeholders; and 5) writing and editing for print and digital
Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent
initiative and professional development.
• Oversee day-to-day operations of communications and marketing team (35% of duties).
o Lead weekly communications and marketing team meetings.
o Identify training and professional development opportunities.
o Track team member performance, provide feedback, resolve issues and manage team
changes to optimize performance.
o Manage, track and review team schedule, work and grant deliverables and budget.
o Filter and route internal and external media and communications requests.
• Manage digital and print publications (30% of duties).
o Gather and synthesize input from internal and external stakeholders.
o Create publication schedules and assign roles and responsibilities.
o Lead brainstorming, editorial, kickoff, progress and retrospective meetings.
o Track, review and report on publication and project progress, and ensure deadlines
and desired outcomes are met.
o Manage digital assets and information systems for communications and marketing
• Manage full-time and part-time staff and contractors working for the communications
and marketing team (20% of duties).
o Supervise three full-time staff members, including the editor and publications.
coordinator, graphic design and photography coordinator and digital media
o Supervise part-time staff and interns as needed.
o Manage relationships and deliverables with independent contractors working on
communications and marketing-related projects.
• Gather and use data to measure and report impact of communications and marketing
work across various channels and publications to internal and external stakeholders
(10% of duties)
o Monitor and report on impact of team’s work on media landscape using media
o Develop and maintain performance indication dashboards for easy reporting and
o Develop and execute strategies for incorporating results into future work for
• Write and edit content for digital and print publications (5% of duties).
o Participate in communications internal review process as late-stage editor of major
digital and print publications.
o As needed, draft content for publications and outreach.
Qualifications and Characteristics:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience that demonstrates strong writing and critical
thinking skills required; master’s degree in nonprofit, business or public administration or
communication and marketing-related field preferred
• Three years of work experience in an office setting required; two years of management
(including supervision) experience preferred
• Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects in a fast-paced team environment
• Ability to anticipate bottlenecks and workflow issues and take preventive action
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to listen and understand people’s needs and concerns
• Ability to prioritize work and time based on desired outcomes
• Meticulous attention to detail and high organizational ability
• Demonstrated knowledge of communications and public relations best practices, or
demonstrated ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced work environment
• Demonstrated knowledge of Midwest agriculture, environmental issues and rural culture
• Excellent meeting facilitation skills
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills
• Excellent writing and editing skills
• Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel required
• Experience conceptualizing and using dashboards or other data visualization tools preferred
• Experience with print and digital publications management preferred
• Experience with media monitoring software preferred
• Experience in budgeting and budget management preferred
• Patient, flexible and adaptable
• Analytical, and data- and process-oriented
• Ability to persuade and lead a team
based on experience and qualifications.
family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long term disability, life insurance and generous paid time off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment.
and references) on PFI’s employment page at https://practicalfarmers.org/employment by Friday,
June 25, 2021. You will hear back about next steps in the hiring process by one week after the
application deadline. The start date for the position is flexible, but anticipated to start Sept. 1, 2021.