Senior Food Scientist
Senior Food Scientist
A Senior Food Scientist will provide technical support to new or existing customers with growth potential to grow sales of Tate & Lyle ingredients. This position requires a technical professional with 5+ years of experience in the food industry with strong knowledge of food systems, ingredient functionality, and processing across a broad range of food applications. The candidate must have strong communication and interpersonal skills and be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with a large number of customers across a broad range of applications. Contribution is measured through quality growth in the technical project pipeline and conversion of technical opportunities to sales. Willingness to travel up to 50%.
- Develop close working relationship with the technical community at customers and within Tate & Lyle
- Leads customer projects and provides technical expertise to address customer issues.
- Partners with sales teams to build a strong project pipeline by identifying and shaping new opportunities.
- Capture new technical leads/opportunities to build a strong project pipeline in CRM system. Independently review projects, growth, and ability to move projects through development stages.
- Responsible for understanding customer needs and using these insights to support solution design, pipeline development and technical strategies.
- Understands customer culture, capabilities, structures and processes utilizing these insights to support the development of fit for purpose solutions.
- Follows and shares market intelligence and industry trends to contribute to solution development.
- Promote Tate & Lyle’s technical leadership position by presenting new product ideas and technologies to existing and potential customers.
- Supports customers in using ingredients by leveraging understanding of Tate & Lyle’s ingredients portfolio and their applications.
- Creates recognition for Tate & Lyle‘s ingredients/technologies by developing and fostering relationships within the industry.
- Builds relationships with key decision makers in customer organizations leading to new opportunities.
- Builds a strong and diverse internal network to be able to draw upon the right sources of expertise as required.
- Work cross functionally within Tate & Lyle (e.g. Research, Applications, Analytical, Product
- Management, etc.) to ensure customer performance goals are met
- Understands and anticipates customer/market aims, needs, processes and success measures, to better develop and position solutions that have real impact.
- Combines insights on technical expertise, the external environment and our customers’ business with a deep understanding of Tate & Lyle to drive commercially astute business decisions consistent with our strategic objectives.
- Thinks creatively, analytically and holistically, employing innate curiosity to explore problems and generate impactful solutions.
- Carries out rigorous and high-quality research that elevates Tate & Lyle’s brand as a world-class solutions provider.
- Acts as an advisor, both internally to drive the direction of Tate & Lyle and externally to inform thinking and action when solving complex problems.
- Leverages a deep understanding of stakeholders, partners and customers to influence and collaborate effectively.
- Takes accountability for delivering world class solutions.
Pro-actively takes ownership and shows initiative in leading and contributing to high-quality and timely work.
- Education: MS or BS in Food Science or other related field
- 5+ years of experience in the food industry. Food formulation experience and understanding of food systems and ingredient functionality required.
- Broad industry experience including experience drawing on relationship management and professional maturity.
- Willingness to travel up to 50% (car and/or air)
- Experience with beverage and dairy a plus.
*The Job title, role and responsibilities are subject to change based on qualifications / experience of the candidate and the business needs of the company.
Tate & Lyle is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of an inclusive workforce.