Assistant Professor in Precision Agriculture
The Department of Plant, Soil and Agricultural Systems invites applications for a 9-month, continuing, tenure track position as the Assistant Professor position at Southern Illinois University Carbondale
The Department of Plant, Soil and Agricultural Systems invites applications for a 9-month, continuing, tenure track position as the Assistant Professor position at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Earned doctorate by the time of appointment in Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Agricultural Systems Management, or closely related technical discipline, with a primary emphasis in precision agriculture. ABD applicants will be considered if all doctoral degree requirements will be completed by August 15, 2020. If all degree requirements are not completed by
that date, a term, non-tenure track appointment may be offered in accordance with University policy.
1. Demonstrated expertise in precision agriculture technologies, which may include: GPS, GIS, VRT, remote sensing, electronic measurement, analysis and decision making related to agricultural management;
2. Experience in college level teaching and/or ability to teach precision agriculture and related courses;
3. Strong skills in computing and data analysis related to precision agriculture;
4. Demonstrated knowledge of crop production systems in Midwestern U.S.;
5. Experience in grant writing and/or refereed publications; and
6. Demonstrated effectiveness in oral and written communication.
The successful candidate will develop and teach precision agriculture and related course(s) to address the technical needs of graduates working in the precision agricultural industry and the interdisciplinary applications within agriculture; develop a research program leading toward extramural funding and refereed publications; mentor graduate students and advise undergraduate on special projects and participate in outreach activities.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2020, or until position is filled.
A complete application consists of:
1. a letter of application detailing interest and qualifications;
2. statement of teaching philosophy;
3. statement of research interests related to this position;
4. transcripts (official must be submitted prior to hire);
5. curriculum vitae; and
6. at least three professional references with complete contact information.
Application materials should be sent to email@example.com (electronic application preferred)
Dr. Dennis G. Watson, Search Committee Chair
Department of Plant, Soil and Agricultural Systems
Mail Code 4415
Southern Illinois University
1205 Lincoln Drive, RM 176
Carbondale, Illinois 62901
Office Phone: 618-453-6979
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that
strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.