Extension Educator- Agriculture Production Systems
University of Minnesota is looking for candidates with
skills and experience in engaging stakeholders in agriculture;
developing and strengthening networks; and teaching and
facilitating informal educational livestock programs that are
relevant to Stearns, Benton, and Morrison Counties.
University of Minnesota is looking for candidates with skills and experience in engaging stakeholders in agriculture; developing and strengthening networks; and teaching and facilitating informal educational livestock programs that are relevant to Stearns, Benton, and Morrison Counties. This position will be responsible for determining livestock programming in the three counties with an emphasis on dairy and beef. This position will also provide technical assistance and resources about livestock and agricultural business management, and will work with other local Extension educators to coordinate programming. Emphasis for this position is on direct work with dairy and beef producers to enhance their sustainability. In addition, this position also has responsible for programming and teaching in all livestock areas.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree is required. A Master’s degree is preferred. At least one degree in an agriculture related discipline is required, i.e. livestock production, agronomy, soils, agricultural economics, or agricultural education. A livestock degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to create new educational programs based upon past successes or failures.
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills.
- A proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships and collaborations with colleagues, partners, and stakeholders, including those that may have diverse missions, goals, cultures, and backgrounds
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Skilled in Microsoft office programs such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Appointment also requires:
- Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle to provide own means of transportation throughout the state, and appropriate vehicle insurance.
- Reliable cell phone to be used and number published publicly.
- Current knowledge of livestock production systems.
- Experience developing and conducting educational programs.
- Commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Experience using technology for communication, information finding, teaching and reporting.
- Ability to articulate public value of educational programming in agriculture.
- Previous experience as an Extension professional or other educationally related position (within agriculture production systems) is preferred.
About the Job
Title: Extension Educator – Agriculture Production Systems - Livestock
Classification: Assistant Extension Educator, Job Code 9625ST
Appointment: Full-time (100% time), Funded by Stearns, Benton, & Morrison Counties
Extension Center: Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources (AFNR)
Location: Stearns County Extension Office, St. Cloud, MN 56301
Application Review: July 24, 2020; Position is open until filled.
ABOUT THE COUNTIES
Stearns, Benton and Morrison Counties are located in Central Minnesota. Major cities include St. Cloud, Foley and Little Falls. Agriculture is a significant industry, contributing millions of dollars to the local economies annually. Livestock sales in the tri-county area totaled over one billion dollars in 2017, and there are more than 300,000 total cattle and 2,787 farms. St. Cloud is a regional center for the area and draws a workforce from all three of these counties. This position is a part of a team of Extension educators that also includes a crops and horticulture educators that are jointly funded by the three counties. It is expected that the livestock educator will participate as a team member with the other ag educators and also assist with youth livestock programming to the extent determined by the County Extension Committees.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The University is looking for candidates with skills and experience in: engaging stakeholders in agriculture; developing and strengthening networks; and teaching and facilitating informal educational livestock programs that are relevant to Stearns, Benton, and Morrison Counties. This position will be responsible for determining livestock programming in the three counties with an emphasis on dairy and beef. This position will also provide technical assistance and resources about livestock and agricultural business management, and will work with other local Extension educators to coordinate programming. Emphasis for this position is on direct work with dairy and beef producers to enhance their sustainability. In addition, this position also has responsible for programming and teaching in all livestock areas (sheep, goats, swine, rabbits, poultry and horse).
The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to apply knowledge to new and future programs that support and enhance the production and economic development of agriculture in the three counties. Effort will be required to maintain competency in multiple Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources (AFNR) discipline areas as well as knowledge of local/federal/state related programs.
THIS POSITION WILL:
- Provide research-based resources to livestock producers in the tri-county area.
- Build relationships with agriculture professionals to foster educational efforts and economic development.
- Provide relevant education and support to agriculture.
- Design/conduct educational programs and make them accessible and inviting to diverse participants.
- Provide technical assistance and expertise in the areas of production.
- Communicate effectively and positively with colleagues and stakeholders about the work.
- Design, develop, deliver/implement, and evaluate local AFNR livestock programs livestock educational programs (all species) based on local needs and expectations, developing and maintaining effective county, regional, university and state partnerships that further the development and delivery of Extension educational programs.
- Engage with producers, agricultural professionals and stakeholders to build rapport and working relationships to benefit educational efforts.
- Utilize numerous delivery methods to teach around issues related to beef and dairy production that are important to maintaining the viability, profitability and sustainability of livestock operations in the three counties.
- Adapt Extension programs for audiences with a range of knowledge, background, and cultures.
- Work in collaboration with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) agencies, Soil and Water Conservation Districts (SWCD), Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), county environmental and land management services, and agricultural and natural resources professional organizations to provide educational programs relevant to the county.
- Provide technical assistance, engage in information sharing, and respond to local needs in the areas of livestock agriculture.
- Ensure that Extension programs, facilities, committees, and employment opportunities are accessible to new, diverse, and historically underserved audiences.
- Grow as a professional through publication, attendance at conferences, self-directed study and other means.
- Document your professional performance using the annual performance review, professional plan of work and promotion for educators without rank.
- This is a full-time, annual Academic Professional appointment at the level of Assistant Extension Educator (9625ST). Renewal is reviewed annually and dependent on performance, results, availability of funds, and program needs.
- Internal promotion is available and meeting the promotion policy criteria to achieve promotion is expected.
- A full University of Minnesota benefits package is available: https://humanresources.umn.edu/new-employees/benefits-summaries.
- Reimbursement for travel and subsistence is available in accordance with University policy.
- Salary commensurate with education and experience.
About the Department
The University of Minnesota Extension is a major outreach arm of the University of Minnesota, a land grant institution with a mission to serve the public through applied research and education. The mission of the University of Minnesota Extension is: “Making a difference by connecting community needs and University resources to address critical issues in Minnesota.” https://extension.umn.edu/
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click on the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position. Please include the following attachments with your online application:
- Cover letter
- Resume or Vitae
Three professional references and transcripts for all college work (unofficial transcripts are acceptable) will be required during the interview process.
Additional documents may be attached after the application by accessing your “My Job Applications” page and uploading documents there.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please email email@example.com or call 612-624-UOHR (8647).
For questions about this position, contact:
Program Leader, Extension Center for Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources
For questions about applying online, contact:
Extension Human Resources
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Special Notice for COVID-19: The UMN has suspended hiring for most positions. However, we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University's mission and operations at this time. Applications are being accepted for this position and you are encouraged to apply. In-person interviews are suspended indefinitely and will be replaced by interviews in a virtual format. Thank you for your continued interest in working at the University of Minnesota.
The U of M is an equal opportunity educator and employer
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.