Extension Educator - Agriculture Production, Horticulture & Natural Resources
We are looking for candidates with skills and experience in engaging stakeholders in agriculture, and horticulture. Responsibilities include developing and strengthening networks and teaching and facilitating informal educational programs that are relevant to Pine and Isanti Counties. Emphasis areas of the position include livestock, forages, pastures, corn, soybeans, soil and water sustainability, horticulture, forestry niche products and honey production.
About This Position:
Isanti County is located north of the Twin Cities and Pine County is located midway between the Twin Cities and Duluth. Agriculture in Pine and Isanti Counties includes the full range of livestock and many horses. A majority of the agricultural land use is dedicated to forages (hay/haylage) and pastures. Other major crops include corn and soybeans. Pine and Isanti Counties also boast a diverse nursery, greenhouse, floriculture, sod, Christmas trees and short rotation woody crops industries.
Examples of desired Extension educator focused work include focusing on alternative and new crops, value added agriculture, local food production, beginning farmers and consumer education. In addition, In Isanti County the Extension Educator will also provide leadership of the Master Gardener Program, engaging and managing volunteers, and serves as the primary point of contact representing the University of Minnesota Extension.
Bachelor’s degree in an agriculture or natural resources related discipline. i.e. livestock production, agronomy, soils, horticulture agricultural economics, natural resources, forestry and/or agricultural education.
• Demonstrated ability to create new educational programs based upon past successes or failures.
• Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills.
• A proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships and collaborations with colleagues, partners, and stakeholders, including those that may have diverse missions, goals, cultures, and backgrounds.
• Experience communicating with, supervising and empowering volunteers/team members.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
• Skilled in Microsoft and Google suite applications
• Valid driver's license and own means of transportation with required liability insurance.
• Personal cell phone that can be used, as needed, for work purposes and published in the Extension public staff directory.
• Must have reliable internet if/when working outside of assigned office location.
• Must be able to travel within the designated communities and provide in-person programming.
Full-time (100% time), Funded by Pine County (50%) and Isanti County (50%)
Full University of Minnesota benefits package: https://humanresources.umn.edu/new-employees/benefits-summaries.
Pine County Extension Office, Pine City, MN and Isanti County Extension Office, Cambridge, MN
Application Deadline: December 1, 2021
VIEW FULL DESCRIPTION AND APPLY AT: https://hr.myu.umn.edu/jobs/ext/344399
The University of Minnesota recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.