Urban Forestry Technician
This is an entry level urban forestry technician position with the City of Montgomery, Alabama. Responsibilities for this position vary between development related activities, tree care maintenance, and supervising contracted urban forestry projects. Urban forestry is one of the fastest growing and rewarding natural resource related fields in the country. This profession can be defined as the art, science and technology of managing trees and forest resources in and around urban community ecosystems for the physiological, sociological, economic, environmental and aesthetic benefits trees provide society. This position is ideal for someone who is interested in working toward their International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist credential. Other training opportunities are offered throughout the year that in the past have included topics on zoning and planning, grant writings, and other urban forestry related subjects.
- Review development plans for compliance with Landscape Ordinance requirements in Development Code.
- Approve landscape plans for permitting.
- Inspect and approve landscape installations for issuance of Certificate of Occupancy.
- Make onsite decisions on landscape changes based on intent of the Landscape Ordinance.
- Work with landscape contractors to best meet the intent of the Landscape Ordinance.
Contracted Tree Projects
- Supervise contracted urban forestry projects for the City.
- Coordinate with contracted landscape companies on tree delivery, installation, etc.
- Maintain oversight of projects so that the projects comply with Urban Forestry criteria for installation.
- Make onsite decisions on changes due to unforeseen circumstances so that the project maintains its purpose
- First year summer watering to insure establishment of new trees.
- Structural pruning of trees, maintaining sidewalk and street clearances as trees mature.
- Corrective pruning of trees, maintaining tree form.
- Application of fertilizer and other tree care products to ensure tree health.
Interested individuals should contact Russell Stringer at 334-625-2740 or email@example.com.