The Importance of Managing Work-Life Balance
Work-life balance can seem hard to achieve and impossible at times. Through the use of smartphones, email, and other technology, “unplugging” from the office can be difficult.
According to a Harvard Business School Survey, 94% of working professionals reported working more than 50 hours per week and nearly half worked more than 65 hours per week. Many experts agree that not maintaining a healthy work-life balance can damage relationships, health and happiness.
There are multiple tips to maintaining a healthy work-life balance, five tips are listed below:
- Unplug – Set and try to maintain routine office hours and times when you are available until the following day. Maintaining boundaries will enable you to set aside personal time and quality time.
- Reorganize your Life – Examine the activities that you are involved in and projects that you may be working on, and decide whether any of those activities can be delegated. This could potentially free your time for other activities or personal time.
- Make a List – Keep a calendar or daily To-Do list to stay organize and plan your time. Having a plan helps you to stay focus and on track.
- Get Proper Rest – Never underestimate a good night’s sleep. Lack of sleep can increase stress, anxiety, and irritability.
- Make time for R&R – Set aside time for yourself and loved ones to enjoy activities you like. Life is about taking time and smelling the roses. Seek out new opportunities to challenge yourself and expose you to new cultures.
A healthy life is all about balance. Learn to respect your private time and not let work interfere with that time unless it is an emergency. Maintaining priorities and setting limits will help you achieve the best work-life balance for your lifestyle.